Treatment outcomes are always contingent on:
- The quality of the relationship between the individual and his or her treatment team
- The appropriate type and amount of treatment
- The type of physical and mental side effects the client’s substance abuse
- The opportunity to participate in additional services
When searching for the correct drug rehab center for your needs, it is crucial to ask the following important questions:
1) Are the treatments within the program supported by scientific evidence? Highly effective drug abuse treatment programs include clinically managed detox and behavioral therapy. Behavioral therapies are varied and can be tailored to each client’s needs. They could include creating or improving personal relationships, bolstering problem-solving skills, ceasing the use of alcohol or drugs, and discussing the client’s motivation to change. Examples of behavioral therapy include:
- Group Therapy - This type of therapy enable clients to deal with their substance abuse in a realistic manner, completely understand the consequences of drug abuse, and learn to resolve emotional and personal issues without turning to alcohol or drugs
- Motivational Interviewing - This type of therapy includes the use of strategies that are designed to encourage self-driven and rapid behavioral changes to end the use of alcohol and drugs, while encourage the client to enter treatment.
- Motivational Incentives - This type of therapy relies on the use of positive reinforcement like providing privileges or rewards for staying drug free, for participating in counseling sessions, or for taking prescribed treatment medications.
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy - This type of therapy works to help clients notice, avoid, and deal with the situations where he or she is more likely to abuse drugs or alcohol.
- Medications can be an important part of treatment for many clients, especially when the prescription is added to other behavioral therapies such as counseling. Different medications may be helpful at various stages of treatment: to end drug abuse, to remain in treatment, or to avoid the potential of relapse.
2) Does the program offer an individualized approach to addiction treatment for each client’s differing needs? The most effective type of treatment knows the importance of customizing recovery for each individual’s differing needs. Creating a personalized program out of different services, treatment options, programs, and therapies is very important to the success of the individual. In order for treatment to be successful, the individual’s ethnicity, culture, gender, and age must be taken into consideration. When creating a treatment plan, the provider must also take into account any prior efforts to quit and the addiction severity.
The most highly effective programs utilize various types of therapies and other services that benefit the needs of the clients, such as professional preparation services, positive coping mechanisms, and more. The client may also require medical services, legal services, family therapy, or parenting support.
It is also important to receive a diagnosis for any potential co-occurring disorders. Addictive disorders and other mental disorders tend to occur simultaneously. Individuals with one condition should also be evaluated for other conditions as well. When these problems occur at the same time, treatment should identify and address both. This also includes the potential of utilizing prescribed medications. Medications Used to Treat Drug Addiction Medications intended to treat the abuse of opioids, alcohol, and tobacco include: *Tobacco Medications: gum, nasal spray, patches, nicotine lozenges, bupropion (Wellbutrin) and varenicline (Chantix) *Alcohol Medications: acamprosate (Campral), topiramate (Topamax), naltrexone, Disulfiram, and Vivitrol. *Opiate Medications: naltrexone, buprenorphine, Methadone, and Vivitrol.
Addiction treatment programs and individual treatment plans should be continually evaluated and modified in order to serve the client’s changing needs throughout each phase of recovery. The client’s needs for different support services should also be taken into consideration.
The most highly effective programs are made up of a wide variety of services and therapies designed to meet each individual’s differing needs. Some clients may have a need for professional preparation services while others require nutritional counseling or family therapy sessions. It is up to the client and his or her case manager to devise a treatment program that targets his or her personal needs.
The necessary amount of treatment differs depending on the type and degree of each individual’s problems and needs. Clinical research shows that in general, most addicted individuals need at least 90 days of addiction treatment in order to fully recover and decrease their drug use. It also shows that lengthier treatment programs set a client up for a more favorable outcome. The best types of programs evaluate progress and provide services to help maintain sobriety after treatment comes to an end. Recovering from a drug or alcohol addiction is a lengthy process that may often require multiple treatment sessions and continued support from the client’s family and community It is important that clients realize a relapse does not mean failure. Because addiction is chronic in nature, it means that relapse is not only possible but very likely. This is similar to what occurs during other chronic medical illnesses. The disease of addiction requires continual evaluation and treatment modification.
Self help groups like these encourage and facilitate the effects of addiction treatment. The programs that are most well known are based on the 12 step model. There are both religious and alternatively based groups, such as Alcoholics Anonymous (AA), Cocaine Anonymous (CA), and Narcotics Anonymous (NA). These group therapy settings utilize the social support that comes along with peer discussion. This helps to promote and support and addiction free lifestyle. These types of therapy groups add community-based social support to those in recovery. The groups assist with healthy lifestyle goals like abstinence. Throughout the duration of our addiction recovery programs, clients are encouraged to participate in this type of group therapy.